1. I bought 5 tickets during pre-sale for this concert back in October. Regardless of who the other 3 tickets went to, Chelsea and I knew we were claiming 2 of them. Originally, it was supposed to be our friend Shelley, Arianna and Adam. Two weeks before the concert those 3 tickets changed hands 6 times and we ended up with Adam, X, and her friend Alex.
2. I pulled the teenagers out of school early to make the 2-3 hour drive (with traffic) to north Austin. I bought them Sonic and some of those ridiculously spicy junk food treats they love to make the car ride a bit more enjoyable.
3. At one point that evening, Chelsea jokingly sent an S.O.S. in our tribe’s group text thread about how she was up to her eyes in teenager hormones. It was then I realized that I was the waaaay oldest in this group. Chelsea, still nicely settled in her 20’s has only 15 years separation from these youngins’ compared to my 24 years.
4. This was Adam’s first concert ever. There could not have been a better concert EVER to have as a first. It was absolutely incredible. He loved it but afterward he said he wanted to go see Drake in concert and compare the two. Now, I’m no expert on Drake (or his religious beliefs), but I did go to a 50 cent concert in my youth (because it was free – don’t judge me!) . The two could not even be compared. Profanity instead of Praise; Lifting up self instead of lifting up Jesus; Women instead of Worship. How about we just watch a YouTube video of his concert for 15 seconds and declare the winner is Hillsong?
5. The floor below our seats was so sticky – like super glue sticky – Chelsea and I couldn’t dance like we wanted to when Rend Collective was opening up. I’m pretty sure our teens set us up on that one. The last thing they wanted was Chelsea and I dancing.
6. Hillsong United was absolutely the best. Have I mentioned that? I’ve been listening to their album since it came out in the fall. I ran my half marathon to all their songs. Their website is great because it allows you listen to every song and see a video with the lyrics – which you need because their song writing abilities is amazing but you have no idea what they are singing. My favorite song going into the concert was Here Now (Madness) but leaving the concert it was Heart Like Heaven. All of them are fantastic though.
7. I spent $100 on concert t-shirts for everyone. You just have to….
8. At one point during the concert one band member mentioned that he had a son named Zion, named so because he was conceived the night the band finished recording their album Zion. This threw my teenagers into a tailspin. When the topic reemerged on the drive home, I nearly caused vomiting in the back seat at the mention of celebratory sex. All of which Chelsea and I found extremely enjoyable and continued to taunt them with.
9. I decided not to drive the back roads home in order to avoid deer. Wrong choice. I-35 out of Austin is the absolute worst. Even at 11pm we sat in traffic for an hour causing us to miss the last open Starbucks in city. We were forced to stop at Whataburger at 12:45am for crappy coffee and soda. We got home at 2am. Kids had school at 8am, I had to leave for work at 7:20am – but it was worth every lost hour of sleep.
10. These teens now love the album I’ve been pushing down their ears for the last 5 months. Adam is “in love” with Taylor, the lead female vocalist and asks me to play her songs every time we get into the car. Just saying….worth every penny spent for this amazing experience with them.