The year 2017 had one hundred highs and at least ninety-nine lows. But frankly, I don’t know if I would change any of it if I could.
I had my heart and mind set on a holy transformation for myself, family, friends, coworkers, and for brave parents everywhere so I wasn’t terribly surprised when it got hard. Transformation is never easy, comfortable, or convenient.
My family is stronger for the struggles. We have encountered God’s love, forgiveness, and presence in ways I would have never imagined.
Most of these stories of transformation are not mine to tell. I’m realizing that, as a parent, my children’s struggles aren’t mine – even if I think they are or if I just want to take them away – they are not mine. My job is to be obedient to Christ, pray constantly, and reflect Jesus. This was part of my transformation this year.
And, most importantly, amidst the all of the trials were victories, wonderful memories, and abundant blessings.
Before you watch the highlight reel, here’s a few things you should know:
1. “This is why we can’t have nice things” has become our family’s motto. Sort of jokingly, but not really. I kid you not – the amount of things lost, broken, or ruined in our house is absurd!! Everything from swimming pool pumps to eye glasses and hover-boards.
2. Two of my best friends moved away – this most certainly wasn’t a “highlight of the year” but since I made the video…there are a handful of pictures of them.
3. “Warrior” is from Psalm 127: 3-5
4. Adam met a girl while on our cruise in May. They’ve been dating ever since. She and her family are absolutely precious.
5. “We” accepted a free cat in July. His name is Tom Riddle. Tom for short.
6. X turned sixteen. She gets her drivers license this week.
7. It snowed in our small Texas town – a most beautiful fluffy blanket of white in early December. It lasted less than 24 hours, then it was 70 degrees again. That is the only way I can handle snow.
As for me, personally, the year has been incredible.
Incredibly hard and incredibly amazing – here’s my personal best moments:
1. I wrote and published a book. (This most certainly encompasses the incredibly hard and amazing moments!)
2. I worked 32 hours a week at Walgreens and spoke at over 30 Brave Parenting events across the state of Texas.
3. I got a new tattoo.
4. I went to a Guns n Roses concert and relived my middle/high school years.
5. My 2006 Honda Pilot hit 200,000 miles.
6. I read the entire Bible cover to cover.
Happy 2018 everyone! Glory to God for all He has done and will do through us!